What we are doing:

In what spare time we have, we decided to spend it (and our savings) on remodeling our rowhouse in South Philly. When we purchased our casa it was a 3 story, 5 bedroom, 1 bath that hadn't been touched in 50+ years. It's currently a 4 bed, 2 bath construction site with so much more to do it's hard to believe.

We use this blog to mark progress, say hi to friends and family, rant about the process of remodeling, and try to have some fun along the way.

- Bryan and Christina

Sunday, August 24, 2008

"It ain't easy bein' green" - Kermit the Frog 1970

So after the last downer post we decided to lighten the place up a bit with some humor and a shout out to our childhood. (Bryan also claims that I have some relation to Dr. Seuss due to my color choices - Christina)

Behold what the inner most desires of Christina's color palate have unleashed on the citizens of 13th Street --->

The bathroom is now part lime green, part (primer for now) white, and a faint "blue". I've only had time this weekend to get the first coats of paint up as I have to re-prime the non white and "blue" walls grey. That's something that I wasn't aware of, but what can you do. I'll keep calling the "blue" used up there in quotes because it's barely blue. The actual color is "subtle blue" and it's pretty darn subtle. It looks really cool, but most people won't ever know that it's not white.

The bedroom now has the first (of what I can assume will be three) coats of "radish" red as well as the "blue" on most of the closets and in the shot to the left. The red is kind of scary I admit, but I'm just the hired gun around these parts. I'll trust the designer on this one. (I actually gave Bryan a choice between the radish and a deep blue, I was actually shocked that he picked the radish, but I do think it will be great! - Christina)

So that's the paint stuff. I am going to wrap up the colored walls over the next couple of nights after work, then do the ceiling. It's backwards to do that, but that's how I roll. After seeing white primer up for about 2 weeks, I really wanted to see some colors up there. And I'm in charge of the work now, so that's that.

Our tiling project has been on hold for the past 10 days or so with our friend Niko out of town. He's back this week, and the shower will be done soon and then it's just the grouting. When the tiling started Christina took a picture of the wet saw in our bathtub. I think it's fitting since that's how DIY projects work. Meaning do anything you can to get the job done...and quickly. Also notice it is one of the few times you get to plug something electrical into an outlet, then put it in the bathtub and add water.

Yeah, our current (and only operating) bathroom was remodeled by the previous owner. In approx 1962. At least it is a complete set with matching toilet and sink. Hey, we'll get to that eventually.

Besides the tile wrapping up in the next week and the painting being done by the end of the upcoming holiday weekend, we're just getting things done. We're going to work with a guy for the plumbing install, since the contractor bailed on that part, and some great friends have offered up services for the hardwood install and helping me finish the electrical. Our contractor story was just pitiful enough to have everyone want to help, but it's TOTALLY APPRECIATED!!!!

Oh, on a side note I mentioned in the last post that I was getting a table saw. Well I got it last week and used it to try my hand at window sills. While the sills didn't quite work out (but it was a good learning experience right?) the saw is great. Of course this weekend we had a friend in town from NYC and my workshop was converted into a bedroom complete with putting down a rug....man we're on top of it.

I guess table saws make great bedroom tables?

Anyway, that's it for right now. While we're still having some back and forth with our former contractor on his nonsense, we've moved on. We're hoping that upcoming Labor Day weekend means the end of painting, tiling...and the start of trim and installing the electrical pieces. And turning on the power!!!

We need a vacation.

No comments: