What we are doing:

In what spare time we have, we decided to spend it (and our savings) on remodeling our rowhouse in South Philly. When we purchased our casa it was a 3 story, 5 bedroom, 1 bath that hadn't been touched in 50+ years. It's currently a 4 bed, 2 bath construction site with so much more to do it's hard to believe.

We use this blog to mark progress, say hi to friends and family, rant about the process of remodeling, and try to have some fun along the way.

- Bryan and Christina

Sunday, September 21, 2008

Long time no typing at you!

So fall is here and of course the project that had no end in sight...has an end in sight! I'll wait until you recover from fainting..................................OK, let's soldier on with the blabbering blogging.

So we've been busy over the past 3 or so weeks with finishing the grouting in the bathroom, some light framing/construction, and some (more) painting. The third floor is ACTUALLY slated to be done(ish) by Monday. "What are you talking about Bryan...we know about the contractor drama, so how can you be about done(ish) on Monday?

Note: done(ish) means that all I have left is the window trim. Can do.

Well, glad you asked. In the end (and tons of phone calls and conversations) we decided to pay the electrical subs to come back and finish the job. Yes this means that we'll be paying them essentially AGAIN for the work. Yes that sucks. And yes, we fully plan to recoup our money in the end. I can assume you know what drama that will mean in a few months. But I digress....

So the sub is coming back Friday and we're finally going to have power and lights up there. Big win. We spoke to the plumbing sub a couple of times 2+ weeks ago, but then he stopped calling us back. After we called ever.single.day.for.two.weeks. Needless to say, he hasn't convinced us that he is worth paying. This still leaves open the nonsense about our contractor never paying them, but we'll deal with that when we come to it....but whatever. Honestly, and not to be too gross....I need to make #2 in our new bathroom after all of the checks I've heaved out of my wallet. There I said it. Sorry everyone. (that last thought will FOR SURE be deleted by Christina in the next 18 hours I just know it)

We did let the plumbing sub know our intentions to use someone else with "if you don't call us back by end of day...yeah yeah..." you get it. But Monday our replacement guys will be here bright and early to finish the work. Damn straight.

In the meantime, I will be attempting to install the hardwoods in our bedroom with our friend Graham. This will be on Saturday, so hopefully that adventure ends like "Return of the Jedi" and not "Empire Strikes Back" by Sat night. At this point only the magic 8 ball knows.

Anyway, how about some pictures?!?! How about THE LAST PICTURE I WILL EVER POST of our shower? (you're welcome for the "last...ever" realization). Note the fantastic grout work, and matching marble ledge and curb?

If you work through previous posts, or have a memory that I can't even pretend to possess, you'll know that under the new bathroom is our old office (now workshop). Well I had a couple of decent days and worked on the soffit that will house the plumbing and recessed lights. We're so fancy I feel like I should be wearing a suit all of the time. Pin stripes.

Here's the result of my effort. To be truthful, this actually took me two weekends. One Sat to start building it the way I thought it would work the best...with me ripping almost all of it down the next day. Then this past weekend I got my head out of my proverbial #2 and did it right. The product is to your left.

Hey family and close friends...want to come over and stay for the weekend? (a few of you have braved our work cave in the past) AWESOME! Here's what our living room looks like right now. So come on over!!!

And yes that's a mattress and box spring in our living room. We ordered them in June thinking that (HAHAHA) we'd be using them upstairs by now. I got a little antsy over the past couple of weeks since we paid for them and they weren't in the house. And given how well our recent track record of paying people to do or deliver things has been going...I wanted them in our house. So add in the 120 or so feet of window casing we have lying around, and the place is like cat hide and seek heaven.

I guess to wrap this latest update up I'll give you a picture that we find kind of funny. What do you get when you cross someone grouting and needing bucket after bucket of water, with another person who spent 30 minutes mopping the kitchen floors?

.
.
.

<--- That. New uses for those silly grocery bags.

No comments: