What we are doing:

In what spare time we have, we decided to spend it (and our savings) on remodeling our rowhouse in South Philly. When we purchased our casa it was a 3 story, 5 bedroom, 1 bath that hadn't been touched in 50+ years. It's currently a 4 bed, 2 bath construction site with so much more to do it's hard to believe.

We use this blog to mark progress, say hi to friends and family, rant about the process of remodeling, and try to have some fun along the way.

- Bryan and Christina

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

These are just two of my favorite things...

*da da dada ... da da dada*

Today I could have been Bryan Von Trap, as I swear as two of my most favorite things happened to us here in the City of Brotherly Love: SNOW and DRYWALL. My pulse is racing, my palms are sweaty, I think I've found my personal "field of dreams".

First, the snow. While our family and friends back in Indianapolis have been living in the white gold for weeks now, we only get a promise of 4 inches and then wind up with rain. For about 3 years this has been the case, and I've been in a serious snow drought. Well imagine my surprise when I got up today and our neighborhood looked like the pictures you see. Score! In 5 years here this is probably the third real snow we've witnessed. It's nice to get back to what you know.

The other major win today was that our drywall guys started. After our previous dealings with a contractor for something this big inside our house, we were both a bit apprehensive on what was going to happen. Was he going to show up? Was he going to take the first half of the money and split when we went to the office? Was I going to catch them riffling through my boxer drawer?

The answers: Nope, No, and I have no clue but won't ask.

There were four guys here today and hung sheet rock at a pace that would make our previous subs blush. I mean we left here at 8 AM with them here and got back from work at 5:30 and they were still here. And still working! And in the dark!

I almost caught the vapors.

I'm posting some shots of the drywall as it is today. Yeah it's not very exciting, and yeah it's just day one. But for the first time in months I didn't have to do it, and it's being done when we're at work. Not in the evenings or the weekends...but real progress when we're away. *swoon*

As with any project that happens in this d%#m house, it made a terrible mess. We actually underestimated the amount of debris there would be today as they're just hanging the stuff, but what can you do. I'm not going to argue with the chef about egg shells when he's creating something delicious (and when we have an obvious language barrier).

The last two pictures of the drywall are demonstrations of the debris just from today. I swept most of the house and used my shop vac as well just the other day. But what can you do. I was in my socks in our make shift "living room" where the door was closed all day. Not too bad in here, but the rest of the house is done for. Needless to say, our cats were PISSED when we got home. We also had to hunt for them a little and found poor Bing locked in the front room, while Marco had the run of the 3rd floor for the day. At least they were both safe, albeit a little dirty. They have given up tonight and started laying in the dirt piles. What can you do?

As usual, I celebrated our latest round of progress and Christina captured it for all to see. Of course I have no shame and the internets were made for nonsense, so the last image is my celebration dance tonight. You know the red eyes and obvious dance moves are getting you excited for more drywall!

No comments: