What we are doing:
In what spare time we have, we decided to spend it (and our savings) on remodeling our rowhouse in South Philly. When we purchased our casa it was a 3 story, 5 bedroom, 1 bath that hadn't been touched in 50+ years. It's currently a 4 bed, 2 bath construction site with so much more to do it's hard to believe.
We use this blog to mark progress, say hi to friends and family, rant about the process of remodeling, and try to have some fun along the way.
- Bryan and Christina
Saturday, October 25, 2008
A pocket door and baseboards. It's getting serious around here!
In designing the third floor space, I'm convinced that my wife went with the designed part of her brain, and not the practical construction side. Because a sqaure(ish) room is perfect for a first time baseboard installer. Not the mish-mash of closets and intertwining walls. Because, damn....there were TONS of cuts needed. (The design part won out, because the whole house had 2 legitimate closets in 11 rooms prior to the renovation, I admit adding 5 closets in 2 rooms might be a bit lopsided the other way, but you can never have too many closets right? - C)
Anyway, I've added a couple of shots of the baseboards that the boss took. Note that the artsy picture that has my knee pads (EVERYONE needs knee pads when doing baseboards, hardwood install, and tile...PERIOD) I had just placed the two pieces together. So that unsightly gap in the joint isn't really there. I just think that needs to be said for the record.
Really the hard part of the baseboards ended up being the outer mitered joints...obviously. Most of them weren't perfect 45 degrees which is normal. But it's just the shaving off material and trying over and over gets old.
Anyway, tomorrow I'll be adding the base cap to the top of what I've done so far. Honestly, I think that since the main pieces were added and the base cap follows that...it can't be too bad right? I think I totally jinxed everything just with that thought.
I also trimmed out the pocket door frame today and hung the door. The trimming part is about 95% complete with just the "jam" (a ripped 1x8) opposite of the door opening to nail in. Not a big deal. I'll end up priming and painting all of the new door trim when I do the same for the windows and baseboards.
The door has been in our living room SINCE MAY as we had a great thought of using a glass paneled door as our pocket door. It's a full sized door which proved to be a slight issue when actually installing the darn thing. I ended up enlisting the help of the boss and ripping the bottom of the door on the table saw. That made the height perfect, and then just pryed off a 3/8th inch piece added to the side for whatever reason. Totally worked.
I've gotten the thing mounted and now I have to figure out how to get the door to stop swaying back and forth. Of course I have no faith in what our former contractor did, and I can't find the installation instructions to save my life. So it looks like it'll be trial and error. Gee, imagine that.
Funny thing I finally noticed tonight. In the picture above with the door closed, you see three switches next to it in the bedroom. Those are actually the lights for the bathroom...in the bed room space. When I realized this I asked the boss and of course she knew it would be like that. Now, I'm not worried about it, but it's funny that I didn't really think of something like that between the two spaces until there was a door there. Not the wood to tile transition, the door frame...nothing else. Anyway, I found it interesting that I JUST NOW noticed it.
So I guess that's it for today. Not too bad for like 10 hours of work.